How To Guide - Embedding Skills Competitions into Apprenticeships through the Apprenticeship Levy
WorldSkills UK is focused on improving the prestige of apprenticeships and technical education, to inspire more young people to consider these as career routes and get off to a better start in work and life. We do this through experiential careers advice, role modelling and engaging thousands of young people in skills competitions across the UK to the highest possible national standards. The best in the UK go into an accelerated development programme to compete with the best in the rest of the world.
Skills competitions provide a unique opportunity to give businesses a competitive advantage through adding value to apprenticeship programmes and leading to a stronger skills base. The new apprenticeship policies, especially the Levy and the move to standards with a greater focus on training and development, makes it an ideal time to consider engaging.
With the advent of the apprenticeship reforms and revised funding requirements, competitions can play an important role in enabling apprenticeship training providers and employers to:
- Use competitions against the Apprenticeship Levy
- Contribute to meeting the 20% off the job training requirement
- Provide stretch and challenge for apprentices
- Develop and test skills in preparation for End Point Assessment (EPA)
- Develop a curriculum which meets apprenticeship standards