A Beauty Therapist is a specialist in facial treatments, make up and skincare advice.
The competition focuses on the role and tasks of a beauty therapist. This includes carrying out a range of therapy services which reflect both current and traditional beauty therapy treatments including facial treatments, make-up, manicure, pedicure, lash and brow treatments, health and safety and customer service. Ideally you are looking to demonstrate your skills to the highest level with a view to advance your skills and progress your career further as a Beauty Therapist Practitioner.
- This is an individual competition
- There is no limit to the number of entries per organisation
- Competitors must be familiar with the core competencies below and/or are enrolled in a programme of study working towards Beauty Therapy Level 2 or Level 3
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 5 April 2019
- Competitors will be invited to submit a photographic entry for initial assessment by 15 April 2019
- Shortlisted competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by September 2019
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE
Please note: this Competition has a preliminary phase, which involves submitting a photographic entry for initial assessment.
Competitors taking part in this competition should be able to demonstrate:
- Presentation skills - the ability to create a professional, positive, safe and effective environment
- Consideration for client care
- Organisation of working area
- Preparation for treatment
Safe working practices:
- Recognise contra-indications and demonstrate the ability to problem solve and take appropriate action if needed.
- Carry out appropriate hygiene procedures
- Checks of electrical / mechanical equipment safety
- Maintain professional standards of hygiene and safety
- Response to client needs – use of verbal and non verbal techniques to ensure client comfort.
- Explanation of each treatment to be carried out
- Maintain client’s modesty throughout
- Identify potential areas of concern for the client
High level of skill and dexterity:
- Application of knowledge
- Use workspace effectively
- Apply techniques with confidence and dexterity
- Demonstrate focus
- Use posture effectively
Management of time allocation:
- Allocate time effectively
- Manage time
- Demonstrate the ability to begin and end the competition appropriately – the therapist will allocate time for clearing down neatly and hygienically at the end of the competition
Ergonomic working methods:
- Demonstrate effective trolley and couch positioning
- Test equipment and products
- Organise trips to the sink area
- Demonstrate effective trolley set up
- Download the competition overview, pre-competition activity pack and top tips from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
Heats, dates and venues
|29/05/2019||Belfast Met College, Titanic Qtr campus|
|10/06/2019||New College Lanarkshire, Coatbridge Campus|
|11/06/2019||Rotherham College, Rotherham campus|
|12/06/2019||Coleg Cambria, Deeside Campus|
|17/06/2019||Highbury College Portsmouth, Portsmouth campus|
|18/06/2019||Weston College, Knightstone Campus|
|19/06/2019||Kidderminster College, Kidderminster Campus|
|20/06/2019||East Coast College, Great Yarmouth campus|
Coleg Cambria is the competition organising partner for the Beauty Therapist competition.