Laboratory technicians in science demonstrate technical competence in the use of complex instrumentation and laboratory equipment and are skilled in the use of particular techniques and procedures to solve practical problems through performing analyses, tests and measurements while ensuring safe and ethical working practices.
The laboratory technician competition is based on real life scenarios in science that demonstrate technical competence in the use of complex instrumentation and laboratory equipment and skills. The competition is designed to reflect the work of a laboratory technician and tests your skills in the use of particular techniques and procedures to solve practical problems through performing analyses, tests and measurements while ensuring safe and ethical working practices.
- This is an individual competition
- There is no limit to the number of entries per organisation
- The competition will be suitable for:
- Students on a relevant HE Degree (e.g. BSc Chemistry) should have completed year 1 this year (in future years they would still be year 1 students at time of registration)
- Students on a Degree Apprenticeship (e.g. Lab scientist) should have completed their first year (in future years to complete in year of competition)
- Apprentices should have completed one year and hold a relevant level 3 qualification
- Applicants working as lab tech’s should hold a level 3 lab technician qualification
- Individuals with no more than more than 2 years’ industry experience
Steps to taking part in this skills competition
- Register to enter this competition by 5 April 2019
- There will be a selection process for the qualifiers. Organisations submitting multiple applications are encouraged to submit competitors in priority order.
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2019.
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results between July and August and finalists will be notified by September 2019.
- Highest performing competitors are invited to participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2019 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE.
- Download the competition overview and pre-competition activity pack from the Tools section to find out more about this skills competition and help with your preparation.
Heats, dates and venues
|21/05/2019||Middlesex University, The Burroughs, London, NW4 4BT|
|04/06/2019||Southern Regional College, East/West Buildings, Patrick Street, Newry, BT35 8DN|
|20/06/2019||The University of Manchester, B1 Sackville Street Building, Sackville Street, M1 3BB|