A Visual Merchandiser is responsible for designing the window displays for a store, as well as ensuring that the interior of the store is laid out accurately so that the customer can navigate the store easily.
The competition has been designed to reflect the practical skill set a visual merchandiser must employ, encompasses styling product, decal use, painting, prop making, graphics, and lighting.
Within the competition, all these components must be implemented together to produce a balanced and eye-catching display. Attention to detail and neatness in execution is also paramount.
- This is an individual competition
- There is a limit of 2 entries per campus per organisation
- Please note that competitors must be between the ages of 17 and 22 in order to comply with the age restrictions of WorldSkills international competitions.
- Competitors must be familiar with core competencies but not have more than 2 years’ industry and have been studying for a Level 3 in the during the academic year of registration.
- Candidates currently in education should have successfully completed at least one year of a relevant qualification in:Visual Merchandising, Retail, Fashion, Branding or creative, practical Art course.
- Some experience of working in Visual Merchandising or a retail/ display environment is also preferable, but not necessary.
- Candidates in the retail sector should have at least 1 year of active experience in a retail/ display/ VM role.
- All Candidates must have a portfolio of practical work (product/ window displays) as well as design work.
- Candidates must have some practical/ product handling experience.
How you can take part
- Register to enter this competition from 2 March to 2 April 2020
- Passive stage (following registration)
- Competitors will be invited to a National Qualifier during Spring/Summer 2020
- WorldSkills UK quality assure the results and finalists will be notified by July 2020
- Finalists will participate in the UK National Final at the NEC in November 2020 as part of WorldSkills UK LIVE
Where you can take part
Dates and Venues for the competitions and qualifiers will be confirmed at a later time.
Please see below to download material in order to help candidates prepare for the competition.